So for any of you who weren't aware, I was in Virginia visiting my family for the first two weeks of January. The weather was much like fall, a bit of rain but mostly clear skies with those brisk 'sweater and scarf' kinda days. Nice enough except that I apparently acclimate to the weather very quickly. Within just a couple days the 40 degree temperatures were COLD! Many people would probably agree with me, however, I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I am required by laws of nature to be a little tougher than that. The last few days I was in VA, I kept hearing reports from home about the SUB-ZERO highs and the even more frigid windchill! A bit intimidating, yet hard to imagine just how cold it would be... As soon as I stepped out of the airport in Marquette MI, I got the picture more clearly! Breathing was a conscious effort! Breathing through my nose led to frozen nostrils and a bizarre form of brain freeze. Breathing through my mouth prooved to be just as challenging, causing chest pain and the resurfacing of long forgotten asthma. All I could think about was in 11th grade, being told to cover my mouth and nose with a scarf when it was cold, precisely for the above mentioned reason. My scarf was the one piece of clothing that I had neglected to pull out of my suitcase. Fortunately the walk from the terminal to the car was a mere matter of yards because my body was on the verge of protest! The next day I was out and about. It had dawned clear and unquestionably the COLDEST DAY OF THE YEAR! (also of the winter for anyone who can't help but realize that the we are not even through the first month of the year...) There was a high of -15 and a windchill of -35! It is a good thing that I love the snow or there would be a lot more questions like 'Why exactly do I live here?'
I had a couple days to work on again 'acclimating' to the temps, then back to work for me. What did I soon receive but the stomach flu! Hooray! Nothing quite gets you to brave the cold than the fever induced chills! Needless to say it was a long weekend. As of Sunday I was feeling significantly better save for the sheer exhaustion from being sick and having to be a grown up and be responsible for myself. It would have been very helpful to have had my Mommy! Today is a good day! I am healthy and ready for whatever Michigan weather can dish up!